Thursday, May 8, 2008

There Will Be Weather

There is a lot that can be said about the weather here in Tennessee - not the least of which being that the weather fluctuates so wildly, something said of if an hour ago has a fair chance of being incorrect now.


For the moment, though I am pondering something that has happened a few times, including today, since moving here. For the last few days, high's have been in the 70's. Not uncommon. However, today we also have intermittent rainstorms with temperatures in the high 70's. Also not uncommon.


Another occurrence that is becoming common is the weather forecast as reported on the radio this morning on my drive to work. The Nation Weather Center is forecasting a 100% chance of rain for the Nashville area.


This is a weather forecast I don't recall ever hearing on the Central Coast of California. Sure, it rains less there than it does here (even during El Nino), but from memory, an 80% chance of rain was incredibly high. If the meteorologist was broadcasting in the middle of a torrential downpour, s/he would still only report a 60% chance of rain.


But not here, no. I gather from the weather forecast today that there is no chance whatsoever of it not raining here today. It will rain. Period. So get your Ark.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find that highly amusing. Weather people usually refuse to commit to anything - even when their standing in a storm: "Well Pat, it could clear up any minute here, we're going to call this a 98% chance of rain for the next 10 minutes."

meg said...

i like the concept of the weather man because it's a job that seems kind of pointless. Just show me the radar image, let me make up my own mind. I don't need some guy telling me what he thinks.

Usually I'm better at predicting the days weather than they are...my tactic is I usually look outside up at the sky.
I don't know where the heck they're looking.

Josh (the oak) said...

Well these guys aren't even meteorologists anymore, they're just talking heads and even more worthless.

meg said...

but they're on the weather team doesn't that mean something...
no it doesn't. shut up.

Ryan said...

Every once in a while, the weather does throw a curveball. Sarah and I were bracing ourselves for the crushing heat of a Sacramento summer on a recent visit to our parents. Our SLO friends all laughed at us, until the final tally came in with Sac-Town broiling at about 90 degrees, and SLO setting new records at 109 on the same day. (Though meteorologists reported that it was 109, but it felt like 111, whatever that means.)